Longtime author George R.R Martin has committed to a five-year deal with a new network to continue to create content. The four-time Emmy winner is headed to HBO to develop a multitude of tv series and other content. The deal spans five years and is worth mid-eight figures. While Martin already has some shows at HBO like ‘Wild Cards’ and ‘Lost Lands’ most fans are excited to see the development of his ‘Game of Thrones content.
So far the ‘Game of Thrones’ based series that we know HBO and Martin are teaming up on are:
- ‘House of the Dragon’ – currently in production and is set to come out in 2022. This series already has a cast lineup including Olivia Cooke, Emma D’Arcy, Paddy Considine, and Matt Smith. This series is about 300 years before ‘Game of Throne’ and follows the House Targaryen. This series is back when the ancestors of Daenerys were the ruler of Westeros. Everything will lead up to the Dance of the Dragons.
- Nymeria project (working title: 10,000 Ships): This series follows the warrior queen Nymeria, who founded the kingdom of Dorne. The series takes place about 1,000 years before ‘Game of Thrones and therefore it will be even older than ‘House of the Dragon’ storylines.
- The Sea Snake (working title: 9 Voyages): Martin also gets to work with Bruno Heller, the creator of ‘Rome’ on this project. The series will follow Lord Corlys Velaryon, the Lord of the Tides (aka The Sea Snake) who is also the head of House Velaryon. Lord Corlys Velaryon will be played by Steve Toussaint, a British actor. The casting of Toussaint is not only exciting but he would also be the first person of color to lead a ‘Game of Thrones’ project. Velaryon is married to Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, meaning this work could represent the possibility for a spinoff of a character that we haven’t met yet.
- Flea Bottom: This series takes place in King’s Landing slum of Flea Bottom. Flea Bottom is a network of tiny streets within the capital. This is home to characters like Davos Seaworth and Gendry Baratheon. The series will follow the lives of the locals but more importantly the life of crime that lives underneath.
- Dunk and Egg Project: This series is based on novellas like ‘The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword’ and ‘The Mystery Knight’ that Martin wrote. It will follow the duo of hedge knight Ser Duncan the Tall, Dunk, and his squire, Egg, (later he would become King Aegon V Targaryen) as they adventure together. This project will be set 90 years prior to Martin’s ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ novella.
Animated drama series: There is also an animated drama series in the works but not many/if any details have been released yet.